of hearts and laziness

The second challenge for the Heart Journal http://artjournal2012.blogspot.com/ was posted on Wednesday.  This month, we are challenged to use air drying clay or polymer clay to create “art fragments” on our hearts.  Having neither at home and itching to make a start, I asked Littleman if I could take some of the muddy coloured yucky bits of playdoh we have been gathering in a special pot.  He generously donated those to me and off I went, sticking them to my heart and stamping texture as I went along.  Yee gods!  It IS green!  Still, everything will be gessoed in time so colour doesn’t matter.

mixed media

Halfway through the morning, I started having second thoughts….the playdoh was drying nicely, but the heart was curling on itself way too much to be straightened out later…I considered going to the shops to get proper air drying clay but it was far too cold and I couldn’t be bothered.

Time for plan B.  I binned heart 1 and asked TeenMan if I could borrow some of his clay.  He agreed and off I went on heart n°2, sticking bits of clay and stamping as I went along.

Much like the playdoh, the heart with the clay started curling at the sides, warping in the middle and cracking where I had thinned down the clay to smoothe the edges.  Heart 2 went into the bin….

and time for Plan C…I found a recipe that looked as is if it could work: corn starch, baking soda and water.  I cooked the mixture under the watchful eyes of 2 felines and one Littleman, convinced I was making something nice for dinner….the mixture  felt slightly sandy to the touch, wasn’t great to spread and absolute hell to stamp into due to excessive moisture.  The stamps stuck to the texture, despite being inked and pulled part of it off when I lifted them.  I was left with a couple of messy stamps and a very messy heart n°3.  Heart 3 was binned.

Last night, I made one last attempt. I found a recipe with flour, salt and hot water.  I had a crowd of cheering fans until I mentioned that I was not baking cookies…the mixture smelt good enough to eat, spread nicely, took texture incredibly well…at which point, I started expecting a glitch.  This morning, I went to check on heart n°4 with baited breath.  Perfect!  It has been drying nicely, has not warped or curled in the slightest, has kept its texture and only very slightly cracked.  I can’t wait for it to be completely dry so I can apply gesso and get on with the painting.  I was momentarily tempted to help it along with my hot gun but decided not to tempt fate.

In any case, I have learnt a good lesson: cutting corners and laziness don’t pay!  That or it really wasn’t my day!

Le second challenge pour le Heart Journal http://artjournal2012.blogspot.com/ a été posté mercredi.  Ce mois ci, nous devons utiliser du plastiroc ou de la fimo pour créer des fragments d’art sur nos coeurs.  N’ayant ni l’un ni l’autre à la maison et ayant très envie d’attaquer puisque c’était mercredi, j’ai demandé à Petitom si je pouvais prendre un peu de la pâte à modeler de couleur douteuse que nous gardons dans un pot à part.  Il m’en a généreusement fait cadeau et j’ai étalé, collé et tamponné des morceaux sur mon coeur au fur et à mesure.  Ouep, c’est très vert!  Mais je vais tout recouvrir de gesso donc la couleur n’a pas d’importance.

Pendant la matinée, j’ai commencé à avoir quelques doutes….la pâte à modeler séchait bien mais le coeur commençait à beaucoup se gondoler sur les côtés, trop pour être raplati plus tard…. j’ai bien pensé aller chercher du plastiroc au magasin mais il faisait franchement trop froid et j’avais la flemme.

Passons donc au plan B.  Coeur n°1 à la poubelle.  J’ai demandé à GrandTom si je pouvais emprunter un peu de l’argile qu’il range dans ma pièce.  C’est parti pour coeur n°2, avec des morceaux d’argile collés et tamponnés.  Tout comme la pâte à modeler, le coeur n°2 a commencé à gondoler sur les côtés, se déformer et craqueler sur les bords que j’avais affinés.  Coeur N°2 est parti à la poubelle et ….

Plan C.  J’ai trouvé une recette qui semblait faisable: de la maïzena, du bicarbonate et de l’eau.  J’ai cuit la mixture sous le regard inquisiteur de deux félins et un Petitom, qui espéraient quelque chose de bon pour le dîner.  La mixture semblait un peu sableuse, difficile à étaler et parfaitement infernale à tamponner à cause d’un excès d’eau.  Les tampons restaient collées à la texture, malgré l’encre, et emportaient une partie de la texture avec eux.  Je me suis retrouvée avec un coeur et des tampons gluants.  Poubelle pour coeur N°3.

Hier soir, j’ai fait une dernière tentative.  J’ai trouvé une recette à base de farine, de sel et d’eau chaude.  Mon fan club m’a laissé tomber quand ils ont compris que je ne faisais pas des cookies!  La mixture sentait bon, s’étalait facilement, et se laissait bien texturer…j’avoue avoir attendu la tuile.  Ce matin, je suis allée vérifier coeur n°4 en retenant mon souffle.  Parfait!  Il est presque sec, il ne s’est ni déformé ni gondolé, a gardé sa texture et à peine craquelé.  J’ai hâte qu’il soit complètement sec pour pouvoir passer le gesso et attaquer la peinture.  J’ai été tentée de donner un coup de hot gun pour accélérer le séchage mais je n’ai pas voulu me porter malheur.

En tout cas, j’ai retenu la leçon: essayer de gagner du temps et céder à sa paresse, ça ne rapporte rien!  Ca ou ce n’était vraiment pas mon jour!

Advertisements

One thought on “of hearts and laziness

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s